US Air Conditioning News
Spring Cleaning Starts with HVAC - April 24, 2019
Spring cleaning is an American staple when the March, April, May months hit. You jump into action cleaning out closets, garages and even those leftovers that have been sitting in the refrigerator just a little too long. But there are some other to-do’s that should be added to your list, too. Add these HVAC chores to your next round of spring cleaning!
- Check your furnace filters. If you can see a significant amount of dust build-up, it’s time to change them out! Depending on the amount of people living in the home and if there are pets, filters should be changed about every 3-6 months.
- Many condensers (this is your outdoor unit if you have a traditional split system) have a drainage hole on the base of it which needs to be kept clear for optimal operation. Use a paper clip or wire to poke through the hole if it is clogged up
- Make your spring cleaning the time you clean your bathroom fans. Wash the cover in soapy water and remove dirt off the fan blades, a toothbrush works well! Make sure the power is off while performing this task
- Check the caulking around windows and doors. Sealed crevices will help to keep out heat and humidity for the upcoming summer. It will also save money on your utility bills all years…score!
- Check to see if all windows open easily and close tightly. If not, check their weather stripping, it may be time to replace. Functioning windows are a key element for indoor comfort. You don’t want the cold air your HVAC system is working hard to produce to slip out through preventable crevices in your windows and door jams!
Want to give your heating a cooling system a more thorough look-through and tune-up? A qualified HVAC technician can help you with that. US Air Conditioning Distributors can recommend one in your area! Just give us a call, a list of numbers can be found in the locations tab of our menu up above.